Psalm 16:5

The LORD is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup: thou maintainest my lot.

God's Warth is Coming... Are You Ready?

You had better listen to the words of Jesus, “Not everyone who says to me Lord, Lord, shall enter, but he that does the will of my father in heaven.” If ye by the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the flesh, ye shall live. If you live after the flesh, you’ll die! The cross does not give us a minor shift or two with regard to a few of our ethical and religious values. The cross radically disrupts the very center and citadel of your life from self to Christ. And if the cross has not done that, YOU’RE NOT A CHRISTIAN! My Friend face it, young rogue, you’re not a Christian until the cross has radically disrupted the very center and citadel of your life! And brought you from a life of commitment to serve self…What are the focal points of the reign of your self? If you’ve gone to the cross in union with Christ, it’s been shattered!"
- Al Martin

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Pennsylvania!

Since my last post, I have driven almost 600 miles, surprised my relatives by showing up at the Glick Family Reunion in Pennsylvania, visited the farm once owned by my great, great, great, great grandfather (hope I got the "greats" right; if not pardon my slip), seen some absolutely beautiful countryside and farmland in the valleys of PA, and spent some good time fellowshipping with family and friends. Good news is that my car got 28 miles a gallon on the last tank and that was with driving on winding, hilly, slow mountain roads and while driving with the air going full blast. This is an amazing thing since the car is quite old and has over 180,000 miles on it - not to mention that it is a full size car with an 8 cylinder engine.

My trip started around 5:00 pm on Friday afternoon. I drove 410 miles to Penn Valley Christian Retreat Center in McVey Town, PA, arriving about 1:15 am. The point was to surprise my relatives who were having a Glick Family Reunion there. They did not know I was coming. My brother from Indiana did the same except he arrived about 8:30 this morning. 

Here are a few shots from the day:

Sun arising in PA.

Another shot with a different hue.

One last one.

Too bad there was a post in the way. This panorama shot would have been all the better if the sun would have been in it. It is from the back balcony of the retreat center.

My uncle and I went for a walk and I snapped these along the way.

Have you ever wondered where those stock photos came from with a single tree in the middle of a field? Well there is the answer.

This little hummer let me take a couple pictures.


Family Photo!

Wanna play?

Afterward, we went on a tour of local Glick history sites. We took a long caravan of vehicles over the mountains and into the next valley.


The view from the top of the ridge was incredible and made me wonder why I have to live near a big city like Raleigh. :-(

This is the valley in which my great, great, great grandfather had a farm.


The farm once owned by John Glick.

The believed site of the old cabin that John Glick built.

Wood beams under the house.

John's grave on the property.


The family around the grave site.


The old spring that John used for water (not original shack).

After this, I drove about 130 miles to Gary Martin's home in Ephrata, PA to spend the evening/night with him and his family.

Well, that's all!

No comments:

Post a Comment