Psalm 16:5

The LORD is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup: thou maintainest my lot.

God's Warth is Coming... Are You Ready?

You had better listen to the words of Jesus, “Not everyone who says to me Lord, Lord, shall enter, but he that does the will of my father in heaven.” If ye by the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the flesh, ye shall live. If you live after the flesh, you’ll die! The cross does not give us a minor shift or two with regard to a few of our ethical and religious values. The cross radically disrupts the very center and citadel of your life from self to Christ. And if the cross has not done that, YOU’RE NOT A CHRISTIAN! My Friend face it, young rogue, you’re not a Christian until the cross has radically disrupted the very center and citadel of your life! And brought you from a life of commitment to serve self…What are the focal points of the reign of your self? If you’ve gone to the cross in union with Christ, it’s been shattered!"
- Al Martin

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Songs of the Evening

Hope Baptist Church has a church prayer night each Wednesday and a large majority of the body is usually present. Today, we had the Leclerc brothers from Wisconsin here to join us (they ran the filming at our Sufficiency of Scripture Conference).

We sang two songs tonight which I really like. One was a new one that we sang on Sunday at Bill Einwechter's church - I Love Thy Kingdom Lord. The best version I found online is at the tail end of the following medley:


I love Thy kingdom, Lord,
The house of Thine abode,
The church our blessed Redeemer saved
With His own precious blood.

I love Thy church, O God.
Her walls before Thee stand,
Dear as the apple of Thine eye,
And written on Thy hand.

If e’er to bless Thy sons
My voice or hands deny,
These hands let useful skills forsake,
This voice in silence die.

Should I with scoffers join
Her altars to abuse?
No! Better far my tongue were dumb,
My hand its skill should lose.

For her my tears shall fall
For her my prayers ascend,
To her my cares and toils be given
Till toils and cares shall end.

Beyond my highest joy
I prize her heavenly ways,
Her sweet communion, solemn vows,
Her hymns of love and praise.

Jesus, Thou Friend divine,
Our Savior and our King,
Thy hand from every snare and foe
Shall great deliverance bring.

Sure as Thy truth shall last,
To Zion shall be given
The brightest glories earth can yield
And brighter bliss of Heaven.


The second song is All I Have is Christ. To be fully honest, the tune does not do much for me being more in the style of modern praise song than the richness of a good hymn (we sang it a cappella), but I love the words. Unfortunately, I was unable to find a good version online in a quick search so we will have to go without audio.

I once was lost in darkest night
Yet thought I knew the way.
The sin that promised joy and life
Had led me to the grave.
I had no hope that You would own
A rebel to Your will.
And if You had not loved me first
I would refuse You still.

But as I ran my hell-bound race
Indifferent to the cost
You looked upon my helpless state
And led me to the cross.
And I beheld God’s love displayed
You suffered in my place
You bore the wrath reserved for me
Now all I know is grace.

Hallelujah! All I have is Christ
Hallelujah! Jesus is my life

Now, Lord, I would be Yours alone
And live so all might see
The strength to follow Your commands
Could never come from me.
Oh Father, use my ransomed life
In any way You choose.
And let my song forever be
My only boast is You.

1 comment:

  1. By referring to "I Love Thy Kingdom, Lord" as a "new" hymn, I'm sure you mean new to YOU. It was actually written in 1800, over two centuries ago, and is believed to be the earliest hymn written in the United States that is still in common use. And one more little fact: today is the 258th anniversary of the birth of the author, Timothy Dwight.

    If you enjoy reading about our hymns and gospel songs, and their authors, I encourage you to check out my daily blog on the subject, Wordwise Hymns.

    ReplyDelete